Android Studio Problems

I was figuring out few days ago how to spend time with kids inside apartment, and we agreed that we will draw together. I thought that I will use time to sketch out some mock ups for mobile app which I have in my head for a few months. This hooked me to restart my Android efforts. I have configured my Eclipse for Android application development, but I didn't use it much. When Google introduced at Google I/O 2013 Android Studio I was curious, I downloaded straight IDE but it didn't work on my OpenSuse machine :(. I didn't want to spend much time, since they emphasized that it's first version with bugs. I left it with thoughts that I will try again after some time when they will make it more mature.

That time has come today :). 

I downloaded new version, unpacked it, untarred started...

First it wanted me to set JAVA SDK path. With the help of google I found where is located on OpenSuse :) 

I created new project, OK. It logged some errors, which I ignored initially. 

I wanted to first see layout preview and play with UI components. Then it came: Rendering Problems: No Android SDK found. Please configure an Android SDK. OK, I thought I need to setup additionally path to Android SDK. But it was there. It's actually within android studio folder. Run SDK Manager to see if I need to install something additionally... nothing suspicious. Than I noticed again some errors concerning Gradle. org.gradle.tooling.ProjectConnection.action(Lorg/gradle/tooling/BuildAction;)Lorg/gradle/tooling/BuildActionExecuter;  What in the earth is Gradle?


With this stuff I was struggling for 2.5 hours. To make the story short... here are steps which I needed to do fix it: 

1. Check Java. I had Open JDK version, it should be Oracle's. I thought that I resolve this when I was trying out Android Studio for the first time. I was running it from console and in both cases it writes exceptions into console. When I type:

java -version

I get 

java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

this works for me.

2. As I mentioned I had previous version of Android Studio unpacked. When I downloaded newer, it unpacked into the same folder as previous. That was also causing problems. I deleted folder android-studio, and unpacked again.

3. On the initial screen "Welcome to Android Studio" at the bottom, there is very tiny link for checking updates. Version I downloaded was 0.4.2 When I checked updates, it downloaded 2MB patch and upgraded to version 0.4.3. Version 0.4.2 has problems with some versions of Gradle. 

And that's it. After doing these three steps, it all worked ok. 

I overcome installation pains. Hopefully, I will have no other problems, so I can focus on development.

blog comments powered by Disqus